Five people attended the regular meeting at 5:30 pm. and discussed the following:
- Report on tasers used by Winston-Salem police in local schools. Recommended actions: Join a pro-active discipline group which volunteers in the schools; circulate a petition or write individual letters condemning such use.
- National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA): Agreement on desirability of communicating disapproval of their votes to all NC Congress members on a sustained basis.
- Fracking: Suggestion made that clean water is important civil liberty; Occupy Scranton has a member active in this area.
- Foreclosure: Suggestion made that improprieties around foreclosures are violations of civil liberty.
- Group agreed to make a list of civil liberties and current infringements; distinction to be made between civil liberties and civil rights, e.g., voting, privacy, marriage, etc.
Meeting adjourned at 6:30 pm.
Next meeting: Thursday, 2/2, 5:30 pm @ Glenwood Coffee. All welcome