General Assembly: January 22, 2012

Facilitator: Mo
Stack: Tiffany
Whiteboard: Andrew
Notes taken by Jo I.

Approximately 45 participants.

ANNOUNCEMENTS/REPORT BACKS

  • Left Forum Group: Working on writing proposals. Email Cindy for more information.
  • Civil Liberties Group: Thurs. 5:30 PM at Glenwood. Know your rights seminars. They have put on hold the legal defense fund work for right now.
  • Foreclosure Group: Thurs. 8:30 AM, 620 S. Elm Street. Movie release is coming up possibly at Carousel or Carolina Theater. Hoping for a large group discussion after movie possibly with Jeff Thigpen, Register of Deeds, joining in possibly March 1. Kick Starter Campaign.
  • Nonviolent Direct Action Group: Tues. 5:30 PM at Glenwood before GA. Planning nonviolent workshop on how nonviolence is being used in Occupy.
  • Energy Group: Wed. 7:00 PM at Glenwood. Debriefing on canvassing. Canvassing 2:00-3:00 PM Sunday.
  • Unemployment Group: Sat. 9:00 AM at Glenwood. Teach-in upcoming with E&E. Working on “Service Action” to work on a project that will utilize people (such as Food Not Bombs or Meals on Wheels).
  • Education & Enrichment Group: Wed. 5:30 PM at Glenwood. Survey in development. 15 minute survey of the skills we have or would like to learn.
  • CAAO Group: Friday 5:30-7:00 PM. Foreclosure & E&E collaboration discussions of actions in preparation for Amendment One.
  • 99% vs. 1% Discussion Group: Sun. 2:30-4:00 PM Glenwood. Open Discussion to continue next Sunday at same time.
  • Media Group: Thurs. 6:30 PM at Glenwood. Open invitation to all to come and discuss future of website and updating calendar and information on Facebook.
  • Transition Greensboro: Kathe Latham gave out an open invitation to join this group which is working on “Transitioning to a More Resilient Community” in the age of peak oil, climate change and economic devastation.
  • John K. is working on a play titled “Second Class” about the anti-marriage Amendment One legislation. All LGBTQ are asked to submit any Amendment One stories they may have. Privacy and anonymity will be protected. Contact John K. for more information.
  • ISO: Film screening at UNCG, Wed. January 25, 7:30 PM, Graham 307, DEFAULT: the student loan documentary. Sponsored by the International Socialist Organization.
  • Financial Working Group: Money report, $1024.24 in the bank. Also anyone who gave an extra donation for the bus trip could get a refund as there may be extra money, see Terl or Jim. Terl also passed around the rapid response list.
  • Progress North Carolina: They are here at the GA as a visitor would like to show a presentation during the GA. They were given fifteen minutes for their presentation.

DISCUSSION

  • Progress NC Action
  • Website function and functionality and Calendar
  • Latino Community Outreach
  • Service Action

It was decided that Progress NC could have fifteen minutes for their presentation.

It was decided that the other three items on the discussion board would be broken down into small break-out discussion groups with a report back to the whole group.

DISCUSSION REPORTS
LATINO OUTREACH GROUP: Discussion about what is best way to reach Latino communities. Possible panel of Latino’s from other organizations to join with OGSO for this discussion. Discussion of organizing a working group within OGSO. Questions of how to build authentic relations, get a coalition and solidarity for this group.

SERVICE ACTION GROUP: Due to limited resources the need to keep it small. Considering using the word solidarity rather than service. Work to build community. Possibly work with the UNCG students who have an action group already.

MEDIA: Plan as of today. Events, please email all events to the webmaster@occupygreensboro.org and to glenwoodcoffeeandbooks@gmail.com. Dave and Julia will update calendar and website, Valerie will message the Facebook site. Discussion about the need to change to a Google calendar and make changes to the website so that people can get better information about events and working group times. Please come to the Media Group meeting, Thurs, 6:30 PM at Glenwood where an in-depth discussion about all this will be had.

PROGRESS NC ACTION: A slide show presentation was made by Derek discussing their progressive agenda. They did explain that they were not lobbyist and did not do legislative agendas, but did work on: 1. Moving public opinion. 2. Keeping issues in the news. 3. Driving news coverage. 4. Building stronger ties with progressive groups (like Occupy). 5. Town hall demonstrations. Unfortunately the time ran out and they were not able to finish presentation and there was not time for discussion. They were invited back for further discussion.

REFLECTIONS

Meeting ended at 6:15 approximately.

General Assembly: Tuesday, January 24 at 6:30 PM.
Facilitator: Christian
Stack: John
Notes: Dave

General Assembly, Sunday, January 29 at 4:00 PM
Facilitator: Mack
Stack: Maria
Notes: Lori