Facilitator: John K.
Board notetaker: Trish
Announcements/Working Group Reports
Reminder that Sunday is designated day for working groups to report back to G.A.
- Left Forum WG: proposal accepted by New York organizers, March 12. We have until Feb. 10th to make changes to program so if interested in giving feedback to facilitator on Occupy Greensboro panel, Cindy, do so soon. No panel like Occupy GSO, specific report from a Southern city. See Cindy or Michael for more information.
- Glenwood Coffee & Books: Please put all chairs and tables back where they were after OGSO meetings. Die Capital! performances next Friday at 7:30 pm, and Saturday at 8 pm, $7. Well received so far, very funny, written by Connor.
- Collective Access/Anti-Oppression group: Friday meeting, 5:30 pm: Coalition work with Foreclosure group. Research to gather, organizing toward showing of film.
- Foreclosure Working Group: Short film premiere scheduled for March 14th at 7 pm at the Carolina Theatre. Draft program passed around. Meetings are Thursday morning at 8:30 at Spring Garden Bakery. We need more help to make this event have hundreds of people show up. Need someone to bottom line a “Story Corps”-like project, which will collect people’s stories about foreclosures.See Todd, Marnie, Dave or Mo for more information.
- City Council item announcement: At Tuesdays City Council meeting two things of interest will be up for discussion and vote. Council will vote on a resolution to oppose Amendment 1 (which seeks to more narrowly define marriage and legally recognized relationships in the state). It iss item 33 of 35. Also, authorization of a task force around Trash Policy will be discussed as item 35.
- Anyone interested in organizing around opposition to potential war with Iran, contact Jo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Art/Media/Communication Working Group: Group met before G.A. and made progress on web-site restructuring authorized at last week’s G.A. We hope to launch the redesigned site by February 14. More info in next few days/weeks. Also Occupy Greensboro’s General Assembly Facebook group will be renamed Occupy Greensboro Open Forum. We will have a separate Facebook page titled “Occupy Greensboro” to better mirror the websites content and event announcements.
- Civil Liberties Working Group: Group met on Thursday with just 2 people. We need people to show up. Next meeting: Thursday 5:30pm.
- Energy Working Group 7% Duke rate increase passed. Can be repealed by NC Supreme Court. It has been appealed, doing research about this. Another 2-3:30 pm meet every other week, bi-monthly Feb. 15, 7 pm next meeting
- Employment Working Group: 8 members on Sat, 9:30 am, next Sat. same time. 1) Idea of co-op idea, “Greensboro Technology Cooperative”, discussed, explored new ways of looking at employment. 2) Questionable behavior of city when it comes to economic development. Preparing a presentation to city council; hard to get info; seems only 1 person is responsible for economic development funds. 3) Interested in getting support of City Council for work cooperatives. We will have a workshop presentation on cooperative business development next week.
- Occupy UNCG: Statewide protest on February 10 at 8am in Chapel Hill over UNC system tuition hike. Important vote taking place to increase tuition in NC system universities. Carpools being organized. In 2006 NC legislature passed a law, can only raise tuition 6.5%. This vote is to override that. See Juan or Thomas for more information.
- Heath Neighborhood Association meets on 3rd Thursday of every month.
- Enrichment and Education Working Group: Info packet available soon to help create teach-in events. Creating contact list dealing with subject matter on which the teach-in is focused. Putting together survey for Occupy members – what would you like to learn, and what are you able to teach? And handing surveys to different folks from different organizations. See Isabell or Christian for more information.
- Anyone interested in working on May Day related actions focused on building coalition with other immigrant right and worker’s groups, come to meeting next Sunday. See Julie or Juan for more information.
- Anyone interested in organizing a creative fun action related to Valentine’s Day, see Mo for more information. There may be something already in the works around Amendment #1.
- Historic Thousands on J (HKonJ) is in Raleigh, Feb. 11. People meeting up at 9 am for carpool. See Maria for more information.
- Emergency Power Fund issue: $450 has been raised for an individual’s electric bill. Al will get money to Duke Energy on behalf of family, electricity for first time in five months.
- Reading Group: Michelle Alexander’s The New Jim Crow is available at Glenwood Coffee & Books. There is a lending program for those who can’t purchase. Meeting is February 23 at 3:30pm. See Trish for more details.
Conference call report back: Today in conference call with other Occupiers around US concerning non-violence and diversity of tactics & want info about where we thought Occupy movement should go as a whole.
- OGSO should endorse the “We Are” Campaign opposing Amendment #1. CONSENTED
- OGSO should be represented at Tuesday’s City Council Meeting. This GA will be one hour long (from 6:30-7:30pm) to allow folks to go to the City Council meeting. Carpool will happen at 7:30 from Glenwood Coffee & Books. CONSENTED
- Direction of the national OWS movement
- Outreach (tabled)
Next Sunday’s GA