The Occupy Greensboro website is now maintained as an archive of the community organizing work carried out in Greensboro, North Carolina in response to the Occupy protests over economic injustice.
Occupy Greensboro’s Energy Working Group will screen the documentary “Gasland” on Sunday July 8 at 1:30pm at Glenwood Coffee & Books.
From the official Gasland website:
“The largest domestic natural gas drilling boom in history has swept across the United States. The Halliburton-developed drilling technology of “fracking” or hydraulic fracturing has unlocked a “Saudia Arabia of natural gas” just beneath us. But is fracking safe? When filmmaker Josh Fox is asked to lease his land for drilling, he embarks on a cross-country odyssey uncovering a trail of secrets, lies and contamination. A recently drilled nearby Pennsylvania town reports that residents are able to light their drinking water on fire. This is just one of the many absurd and astonishing revelations of a new country called GASLAND. Part verite travelogue, part expose, part mystery, part bluegrass banjo meltdown, part showdown.”
Snacks provided. Discussion will follow.
What: Peaceful protest against home foreclosures and in support of the Cruz family
When: Wednesday, June 20, 10am-2pm
Where: 607 Green Valley Rd. (see map below)
3,300,000 homes have been lost to foreclosure nation wide since 2010. There are 296 NEW foreclosure fillings per month in Guilford County. The foreclosure crisis is a direct result of the corporate malfeasance and bank fraud perpetrated by the 1% against the 99%. Occupy Greensboro stands in solidarity with everyone facing foreclosure and the many groups that are working to help families in foreclosure.
Since April 30, Occupy Homes MN has been working with the Cruz family, whose home went into foreclosure after a bank error. PNC Bank executives acknowledged their error and repeatedly told Cruz supporters that they’re working on a solution. However, they’ve refused to work with the family, instead working with Freddie Mac and the city of Minneapolis to launch a series of costly police raids against the home. These raids resulted in 23 arrests in less than a week.
Despite ongoing protests, the banks still think we’ll go away if they ignore us long enough. It’s time to show them otherwise: on June 19, Alejandra and David Cruz will be travelling along with a team of supporters to PNC Bank’s Pittsburgh headquarters to hand-deliver their modification documents and demand a meeting with CEO Jim Rohr!
Occupy Greensboro stands in solidarity with Occupy Homes MN’s call for a national day of action on PNC to coincide with the Cruz’s arrival. Join us tomorrow at the PNC Bank branch at 607 Green Valley Rd in the Friendly Shopping Center from 10am – 2pm. We’ll hold a symbolic house warming party for the thousands of Guilford County residents who have lost their homes by moving into a UHAUL trailer!
Bring food, bring house warming gifts, and then go tell the bank manager that you expect them to work with the Cruz family the next day when they visit PNC Bank’s corporate headquarters.
Map & Directions
View Larger Map
Energy Working Group will be at Elsewhere Gallery on Wed. at 6 pm.
- Relationship of Occupy Greensboro to other groups, organizations, etc. There was considerable discussion on this topic, with dissenting views presented and debated in GA format.
- The relativity of local, state and national involvement was included. All agreed that this is a core issue that has been talked about before and needs further discussion if consensus is to be reached, with all parties keeping an open mind.
- June 13
- June 27
- Elsewhere- sound session, Wednesday mid-July
- Vignettes, character descriptions, characters talking about energy
- Framing the context of energy in NC today.
- War of the world, energy event, news caster broadcast, scripting the beginning of the series
- interviewing citizens, invisible costs of energy
- melding together fiction/ nonfiction/ first-person stories
- tell the true cost of energy production/ disaster
- one 10 minute segment
- Elsewhere sound session July 11
- Elsewhere City Play on August 24 (Duke Energy vaccuum)
Internship program – Connie
- Val will call Connie
- Reaching out to teenagers that we know- Emiley
- Teenager who attended GA last Tuesday? Joe? Faheem- Al
- Middle Colleges- Mark
- Val has a long list of community contacts
- Greensboro Parks and Rec- Kate
- Next meeting Wed 20: work out internship orientation details
Recruitment – regular canvassing on Sundays
- Email sent out to all contacts and FB doc to recruit volunteers for June and July
- Val meeting on Wednesday 6/13 about energy event.