Category: Meeting Minutes

General Assembly: March 11, 2012

Facilitator: Dave
Notetaker: Andrew
Stackkeeper: Tom

AGENDA:

  1. Introductions
  2. Ground rules
  3. Announcements
  4. Working group reports
  5. Proposals
  6. Discussion topics
  7. Reflection
  8. Support roles

INTRODUCTIONS
Those in attendance gave their names and something remarkable about their experiences this week.

GROUND RULES
Don’t talk over each other; use a stack system to determine speaking order; assume good intention; step-up, step-up; cut people slack; keep a sense of humor; follow hand signals.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Please look over lost items in the back room of Glenwood Coffee and Books to see if you find something you have lost during previous meetings.
  • A meeting of the North Carolina Coalition Against Corporate Power occurred Saturday, 10 March, at Glenwood Coffee and Books. It included planning for an action at the Bank of America shareholder meeting to be held at the beginning of May. A second meeting of Coalition will occur at the beginning of April.
  • The Commission on the Status of Women will celebrate the accomplishments of women throughout history on 22 March, 7 PM, at the Greensboro Historical museum; the list of speakers will include our own Maria Rosales.

WORKING GROUP REPORTS

  • Collective Access/Anti-Oppression. CA/AO’s discussion included foreclosures and the Amendment One work underway. Its next meeting will be Friday, 5:30 PM, at Glenwood Coffee and Books.
  • Employment/Unemployment. The group plans to establish a computer station dedicated to job searches at Glenwood Coffee and Books. The group is discussing the establishment of a summer landscaping co-op for high school students and undergraduates.
  • Foreclosure. “Let’s Lose Our Home!” will be screened at 7:00 PM, 14 March, at Carolina Theatre. A march leaving from the Interactive Resource Center will start at 6:30 PM.
  • Energy. The group is planning a radio show, possibly to be aired on a college station, which will draw from material gathered during Glenwood neighborhood canvassing.
  • Art/Communication/Media. Aspects of incorporating a forum on the new Occupy website were discussed during the group’s meeting. An “About” video for the website is still in the works; see Mo for details.

PROPOSALS

  • Proposal to amend the GA Ground Rules. The original proposal was to ask participants in the GA to moderate their use of electronic devices to prevent disturbances in the GA at large. After discussion, the proposal was modified to a request for participants in the GA to make the utmost effort to be present in the meeting by moderating their use of electronic devices and avoiding other disruptive behaviors. (CONSENSUS)

DISCUSSION TOPICS

  • Discussion of the GA Ground Rules:

    • This is a non-violent movement.
    • No oppressive speech.
    • No alcohol or drugs may be consumed during the GA.
    • Assume the good intent of everyone present.
    • Do not interrupt speakers and remain present in the meetings.
    • Use step-up, step-up.
    • Approach people from a position of love and compassion.
    • Maintain a sense of humor.
    • Cut people some slack.
    • Use a stack system to determine speaking order.
    • Follow hand signals.

    Facebook document of GA Conversation Ground Rules (https://www.facebook.com/groups/253887434655229/doc/254498084594164/) mentioned but not discussed in detail. (DISCUSSED AND REFERRED TO DISCUSSION AT A LATER GA)

  • Discussion points to raise during the Left Forum OGSO panel. (Contact Michael before Friday, 16 March, at mrobto@aol.com to suggest additional talking points. He will leave Friday and wishes to prepare his remarks ahead of time.) (DISCUSSED)
  • What to do with Tuesday GAs? (DISCUSSED)
  • Amendment One activities. (Email webmaster@occupygreensboro.org to add your Amendment One activity to the OGSO calendar.) (DISCUSSED)
  • OGSO money in Wells Fargo accounts. (DISCUSSED)
  • What’s up with the parking lot of ideas (PLACED IN PARKING LOT)

REFLECTION

SUPPORT ROLES (TUESDAY ONLY)

  • Facilitator: Thom
  • Notetaker: Emiley
  • Stackkeeper: None presently assigned

Collective Access/Anti-Oppression Working Group: March 9, 2012

Agenda:

  • Check-in
  • Foreclosures
  • Amendment One
  • Reflection

Foreclosures:

  • Part of CA/AO work against foreclosures: showing The House We Live in on April 6th at 7 pm at Glenwood Coffee and Books.
  • YWCA discussion on gender disparities.
  • CA/AO table at March 14th event
    • bring fliers for events coming up
    • bring sign-in sheet
    • Mark and Maria will table

Amendment One:

  • We already know OGSO is ready to help defeat Amendment One—solidarity statements we’ve already made.

  • CA/AO will host a panel of lawyers sometimes before April 28th (Maria will bottom line—starting by contacting lawyers who have helped OGSO in the past).
  • All kinds of anti-Amendment One work in which OGSO folks are involved
    • John K and his theatre group are producing Second Class as a readers’ theatre—many dates planned.
    • Encouraging OGSO folks to vote against Amendment One, even if they don’t want to vote for representatives
    • http://whatireallywantformybday.com/
    • Tiff and Kevin and others are going to make short films to add to the website (Todd will help too after March 14th)
  • Connor’s theatre group is also producing a play—Mo has the dates
  • Need to compile a calendar of anti-Amendment One events

Miscellaneous: as a temporary measure while other work is being planned for bookstore, we’ll make a cardboard sign that just says “Restroom” to cover each of the gendered restroom signs.

Reflection: Several points raised, including that CA/AO has a good balance between internal and external focus.

Foreclosure Working Group: March 8, 2012

This is a compilation of notes from our last two meetings on 3/1/12 and 3/8/12. As always, our meetings are every Thursday, 8:30 am at Spring Garden Bakery. All are welcome.

We are in our final push to organize the March 14 event: Save Our Community: Fight Foreclosure! The event will start at 7 pm.
Event page here: http://occupyforeclosure.org/save-our-community

IRC march
There will be a meal served by Unity church at 5:30pm. Mitch M. is the point person on this. All are welcome. Cakalak Thunder will play; Nego is the point person on this. Katie Y. will help assemble marchers at 6:15pm. Leave by 6:30pm to march to theater. Will S. will be work with the City for special events permitting.

Todd and Tom B. did a Lunch-and-Learn at the IRC announcing the event and had a good discussion with about 15-18 folks. Need to get some follow up fliers to the IRC – Dave R. is making them.

Press
We have gotten some good press leading up to the event. Nathan P. has been updating with several great, professionally written press releases. Todd got a good 2-3 spot on Voices and Viewpoints with WFDD that will re-air the day of the event. Bobbie and Kevin did a great interview with Jeri Rowe for the News and Record ran on Fri on page 2. Todd spoke at City Council as a speaker from the floor for the March 6th meeting announcing the event, inviting council and the general public. It has been airing on public access.

Participants/Supporters of Event
We are really building a broad coalition of support with this event. Participants include:

  • Jeff Thigpen, Guilford County Register of Deeds- featured speaker
  • MoveOn.org- outreach, tabling for Hold the Banks Accountable table
  • Guilford County Home Ownership Center- providing counseling to folks facing foreclosure
  • Greensboro Housing Coalition- providing counseling to folks facing foreclosure
  • Interactive Resource Center- supporter and sponsoring
  • Partners Ending Homelessness
  • Unity Church- providing meal at the IRC
  • YWCA- supporter and providing transport from their winter emergency shelter, hosting follow up event
  • NC Justice Center- will table that night and host a follow up training teaching people how to investigate mortgage fraud on March 31 (prob at Central Library).
  • Occupy Greensbro’s CA/A0 working group is helping will table that night and is helping to organize three follow up events including a talk/discussion with the YWCA on intersections of women and the housing crisis, a talk/discussion with the BCC on intersections of race and the housing crisis, and a public movie showing of The House We Live In.
  • UNCG and Guilford have both signed up for subsequent showings of Let’s Lose Our House: A Modern Foreclosure Tale.

Fundraising
Kickstarter is currently at $1,614.00! We are over halfway. Donations will be taken at the event. Encourage people to give what they can and continue to send the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/401246699/save-our-community-fight-foreclosure

Outreach
Make personal phone calls! Everyone should have contacted AT LEAST 10 people with a commitment to come out on Wed. MoveOn.org did a phone tree reaching out to 3000 people! Thank you! Fliers are available at bookstore, post on fb and email.

Program/ Evening Logistics
Basic flow of the program is: march from IRC, red carpet intro of “stars,” seating, intro, personal foreclosure stories, movie, Jeff Thigpen, rousing get active speech from John K, lobby conversations, sign ups, story corp, Q and A, rousing send off!
Theater will open at 3 pm to start set up.

Folks doing tables, story corp booths etc need to come between 4 and 5 to set up materials.
Tables are as follows:

  • Hold Banks Accountable- MoveOn
  • Follow Up Events table- CA/AO; Maria R and Mark S
  • Training for Mortgage Fraud Detection – NC Justice Center, Rochelle Sparko and Julie K
  • Partners Ending Homelessness and IRC table
  • Foreclosure Counseling- GSO Housing Coalition and Home Ownership Center
  • Occupy as a Strategy- sign up and info for folks interested in direct action foreclosure resistance- Katie Y. and Julie S.
  • Occupy Greensboro general info table- Emiley J.
  • Need clipboards for collecting info- Marnie and/or Julie?
  • Marnie and Dave generating text for zine and will coordinate about layout with Mo who did illustrations
  • Early Smith is our event coordinator/ stage manager for the evening. If you are a participant, once the event starts do what she says! She is the one keeping the whole program on track!
  • Usher training at 5pm at the theater. All ushers need to be present for this.
  • QR needs to be checked
  • Christina Stone and Tom B have been filming personal foreclosure stories; at least one of these will air prior to movie. They will also person a story corp booth
  • Kristian Hultgren of Deep River Productions will be there to help with story corp booth as well video and photo of event
  • GSO bear will also do video and photo of event
  • John K will emcee! Thanks John! Marnie and Todd put together talking points for program and John is good with them. John has tux and cane, needs top hat…
  • Cars being coordinated for Red Carpet drop off
  • Need retro hats for ushers- box for hats at Glenwood Coffee. John K has a bunch as well.
  • Alyzza will be our people counter to get an accurate count.
  • Dave and Alex will be in the robot suits doing robot things
  • Steve T and company will be playing old time music acoustically on the mezzanine as people enter
  • There will be a Q&A session after the movie, but only after folks have a chance to mill around and sign up for stuff. We will play this by ear. Todd and John K will handle this.
  • May need Mr. Microphone for Q&A. Dave will bottomline getting it there.

FWG meeting
Yes- we will meet the next day at 9am at Spring Garden Bakery. Cause we’re nuts like that.

Parenting and The Occupy Movement: March 6, 2012

Parents for Occupy Wall Street

Parents for Occupy Wall Street

OGSO was happy to have Kirby Desmarais, who started Parents for Occupy Wall Street, join us for an open discussion about parenting and the Occupy movement. Here are the notes from this discussion.

Why is it important to you to involve our children in protests?

  • Teaching them how to have power
  • Bringing positive attention to the movement by demonstrating that it is planned with concern for families and families have access
  • Because families are so impacted by issues that we are occupying about

Some techniques:

  • Planning a child safe zone for every event
  • Area that is clearly marked that is for children (they use mats that are brightly colored with areas for chalk art and arts and crafts, parents stand around in a circle)
  • “Yellow balloon” – letting law enforcement know when there is a yellow balloon that it means that there are children, a disabled person, or a pregnant woman
  • Asking before consensus is requested for every event – is this a child safe event
  • “Town squares” – organizing events in parks that are family friendly
  • Outreach for occupy – going to different parks throughout the city and holding events with music and other activities to talk about occupy, making them family friendly
  • Dealing with disruptors – preventing disruptive or mentally unstable people from jeopardizing the safety of families who are involved – making a policy for how to deal with disruptors
  • Sleepover – inviting families to a big sleepover that is family friendly

Energy Working Group: March 7, 2012

Notetaker: Emiley Joyce

5 participants Kristen, Henry, Kate, Valerie, and Emiley

Proposals

  • Organize canvassing surveys and use organized information from surveys as building blocks for a radio drama series.

    • Canvassing surveys: Val created a spread sheet to start to organize the information collected from the completed surveys and uploaded it to google docs. Kate and Emiley will continue to enter info from surveys. Val did a tutorial for Kate and Emiley on how to excel, spreadsheet.
    • Writing Drama: Create a writing event to get some creative writing started around the organized information. Series could have cliff hangers to led to the next episode. Food and on the weekend were several suggestions.
    • Radio Drama: recording studio suggestion, On pop of the world studio,Randy. Will most likely cost but our group can fundraise to pay for expenses. We could get some advice from the Foreclosure Group. Suggested places to distribute the energy drama series: WNG, WQS, WXDU, WNAA, WFDD, Rock 92, You Tube, Elon, and reach out to Avalon.
    • Kate will research how long episodes and series should be, PSA and if that is something we will also need to do. Also email next meeting to webmaster.
    • Emiley will email Val, Al, Kate, Julie, and Kristen ogsoenergyworkinggroup@gmail.com password. Also email group about some possible creative writing dates and information on event for groups approval.

Discussion

  • Creative Writing: Have a host ask a panel of customers questions and use the survey responses as answers to questions. A family trying to figure out how to pay their bills and the cliff hanger will be the next episode they figure it out. First episode could be about the 7.2% Duke Energy rate increase.
  • Energy info: Howard Johnson magnetic generator, bloom box. Ralph Ring and Otis Carr Greensboro group on energy, research needed.

Next meeting 1:00pm Sunday March 25, 2012 at Glenwood Coffee & Books. We will have a short hour long meeting before canvassing to go over our survey spreadsheet.

Energy Working Group meeting 7pm-9pm Wed. March 28, 2012 at Glenwood Coffee and Books. We have cancelled the Energy meeting on March 14, 2012 for the foreclosure premier.

Page 7 of 18« First...56789...Last »