Neighborhood Outreach!

Home Forums May Day Working Group Neighborhood Outreach!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  warren.valerie@gmail.com 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 19, 2012 at 1:44 am #2207

tom123b

Hey everyone,

So, May 1st is coming pretty fast, and we don’t really have any communication network involved with the event yet, but with a little creativity I believe we can still pull off a successful event.

OK, I have an idea that I think should actually be pretty fun. My idea is approach outreach in a creative angle–so the goal is to get ~250 stuffed animals to hand out in public the days right before the march, with the flyer and a “March with me!” message attached. But the way we go about getting these stuffed animals can be outreach, too, as we can go door-to-door in neighborhoods. So the pitch would be something like.

“Hi, my name is ______ I’m a community organizer in Greensboro. how are you today? (after reply) I have two quick requests: First, we are actually collecting small stuffed animals for one of our events, and can offer you $1 each for any small stuffed-animals you have. Do you happen to have any for that price that we could use?
[if not] Thank you, that’s fine. We’re holding a workers’ celebration day march and rally on May 1st. It will be in Governmental Plaza downtown and is meant to introduce people to the history of the workers’ movement and bring people in the community together! [hand flyer] Thanks for your time.”

I started working at Measurement Inc., and it’s a non-stressful job, so I actually have money to spot for the stuffed-animal collection effort. Just created a Facebook event – http://www.facebook.com/events/390901107607242. Looking forward to making this event a success!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.