Occupy Greensboro Events
Learn about Occupy Greensboro

G.A. Meeting Minutes 11/18/11

Occupy Greensboro General Assembly Minutes

11.18.11

Facilitated by Al, notes by Todd,  Andrew kept stack and Dave was timekeeper and posted the agenda on the whiteboard

I. Ground Rules

II. Announcements

  • Folks from Servant House are willing to help remodel the back room at Glenwood Coffee and Books. Cleaning materials and sheetrock tools needed. Todd will provide degreaser, a mop bucket and some sheetrock tools.
  • Foreclosure group meeting next Tuesday morning 8:30 am at Spring Garden Bakery. There will likely be a nat’l conference call on Monday 11.21.11; trying to get signed up for the call which will hopefully discuss building a national movement around foreclosure issues.
  • Val announced that anyone who wanted to discuss person to person the recent conversations about sexism that have been on Facebook could talk to her after the meeting.
  • Sunday 11.20.11 at 1 pm at the bookshop there will be a meeting for those interested in planning an action around the Utility Commission’s Evdientiary Hearing for Duke Power on Nov 28 in Raleigh.
  • Lynn brought tangerines to share 🙂
  • There was a meeting last week of the zine group that is working on producing an Occupy art and lit magazine. They will meet every Tuesday at 4 pm at Glenwood Coffee and Books. There is also an electronic “drop box” for submissions at the occupygreensboro.org site.
  • The Solidarity with OWS video that Mo and Connor made was posted and sent to OWS. Gotten a great and favorable response. Folks were very grateful. A reply video may be in the works.
  • Occupy UNCG did a 15 person mic check at an open forum regarding raises and tuition hikes. The script from the mic check was read aloud at tonight’s meeting. The next Occupy UNCG meeting is Monday, 11.21.11 at 6:30 pm on the 3rd floor of the Graham building Rm 307.

III. Working Group Reports

  • Facilitation working group needs copies made. Dave and Maria will help out.
  • The teach-in working group is now called Education and Enrichment. They are looking forward to hosting teach-ins, open space discussions, and skill building workshops. Next meeting is Thursday, 12.1.11, 6:30 pm at Glenwood Coffee and Books. Contacts are Rebecca and Isabell.
  • Media Group recently met and is welcoming new members. Contact through the occupygreensboro.org site. Submissions are welcome; go to the blog page.

IV. Proposals
There were 10 total proposals and/or discussions proposed. There was a discussion to try and order some of the proposal to get “less complex” proposals handled. Due to shortness of time and length of discussions not all agenda items were covered; those that remain will be on the GA Agenda for next Tuesday, 11.22.11, 6:30 pm at Glenwood Coffee and Books.

  1. November 30 Winston Action– proposed by Tony Ndege. Occupy Winston invites us to plan/participate in an action with them on Nov 30 at the Benton Convention Center. The WS Chamber of Commerce is holding conference and the Wells Fargo CEO will be the keynote speaker. They are thinking to have 2 rallies that day for the start and end of the Chamber event; probably one at 11:30 am and the other at 1:30 pm. Trish added that she has been talking with folks from Salem College about participating. Folks invited to discuss more after GA.  PASSED WITH CONSENSUS
  2. Rapid Communication Proposal– proposed by Jim. Would like to collect email addresses  and establish a contact group to reach as many people as possible as quickly as possible. For emergency actions, reminders, etc. Jim will bottom-line and talk with other folks about how to tie in phone and possibly use the existing website as a home-base for this project. WILL REDRAFT PROPOSAL AND RESUBMIT
  3. GA Process Proposal– proposed by Tiffany. Proposal is divided into 3 parts and deals with inter-movement processes. The proposal parts are:
    • Every GA have 15-20 minutes built in at the end to reflect on the process of the meeting- including, but not limited to: how many people attended, who talked (reflect on step up, step up now called move up, move up), is the space safe/unsafe, was our process democratic, what worked/ didn’t work PASSED WITH CONSENSUS
    • GA after every major action have a substantial chunk of time dedicated to reflection and assessment of the action. What worked and what didn’t? PASSED WITH CONSENSUS
    • Formation of an Anti-Oppression working group. This group would help with the above proposals in identifying tools to help our reflections/ next steps to reflect anti-oppression values. The original proposal included keeping data about our meetings to help identify potential trends of oppression; there was much discussion and concern around this point and Tiffany agreed that it wasn’t essential to the proposal itself, more a detail that could be further discussed/investigated. This discussion was definitely the longest of the evening. PASSED WITH CONSENSUS
  4. December 6 National Day of Action Against Foreclosures Proposal- proposed by Mo. Would like Occupy Greensboro to recognize this day in solidarity with other Occupy movements also participating. We don’t have specifics for an action yet but will soon. PASSED WITH CONSENSUS

V. Remaining Agenda Items– The following were on the agenda but we ran short of time and will be on the agenda for Tuesday’s GA.

  1. RUCO (Rental Unit Certificate of Occupancy) discussion- Contact is Royall Spence
  2. Facebook Proposal- Erin
  3. Meeting Minutes Proposal- Erin
  4. Discussion about Media Group- Dave
  5. Discussion about Language we use including on Facebook- Lynn

VI. GA on Tuesday, 11.22.11, 6:30 pm at Glenwood Coffee and Books
Val will facilitate, John K will keep stack, Carol will do childcare, Lynn will be timekeeper.

Visioning Session Minutes

Minutes from OGSO Visioning Session

November 20, 2011

at Glenwood Coffee and Books

[These minutes come from the final report-back and final reflections session]

Repeal of Glass-Steagall act is needed. Occupy movement should back this

There is confusion about how to connect to this movement. It is challenging – shifting to a new paradigm – openly democratic. There is among some a fear or organization. The process is frustrating, but it is intrinsically messy.

There is often a disconnect between language and meaning. We should not rely on the assumption that we all mean the same thing or that our words mean the same to all of us.

There is real importance in community– people helping each other and increasing our capacity for trust. In addition to the big movement thing we are involved with, there is a small movement thing that happens between people.

We need to do better at helping new people plug in. When we build community, we keep finding resources that we didn’t know we had.

Patience is important. Patience with the movement, patience with our direction and patience with ourselves.

We should seek empowerment. We have grown too accustomed to being dictated to. We need to take initiative and do things for ourselves. We need to become the change we want to see. But we should also know when to ask for help.

Much of our dis-empowerment is connected to ill defined structure. We need to know how to write a proposal, and how and when to form a working group.

How can we internally educate ourselves to know what we mean and to deal with issues at hand?

We should be able to ask for help before burnout.

There is a place we can use for teach-ins at Guilford College. We should contact the Center for Principled Problem Solving.

For us to succeed, courage is required and trust is needed, but trust must be struggled for and not just assumed.

We tend not to want to struggle with one another, but progress only comes from struggle.

We should embrace differences, even when it leads to anger and frustration.

Trust and safety are connected. Their growth is an ongoing process.

Reflections:

It is OK for radically different things to emerge. The intended outcome for this visioning discussion was to start discussion about how do we support each other and what do we need from each other. It was to kick-start a new type of thinking about not just saving the world, but also, what do we need and how can we contribute to our own liberation.

One person was almost ready to leave the meeting, but later glad that he didn’t. He saw great desire here and felt the meeting very powerful and very spiritual.

Next Sunday’s meeting is to be an open discussion about our movement. How can we recapture the momentum of the October 15 march of hundreds? How can we get everyone back who has left? The power of this messy thing is to be able to have a messy discussion.

Another person expressed appreciation for this process. While other GA’s had heavy agendas and little way to plug in, everyone could feel included today. Kathy Latham volunteered to facilitate next Sunday’s ‘messy meeting’.

Another expressed appreciation for the break out groups because she got to talk to two very different people of the type she didn’t usually talk to.

We need to figure out how to share this experience with those who were not present.

We should let the postings on the wall (about what brought people to this process and what they need from it) grow and remain for those who weren’t here in this meeting to learn from and add to.

National Conference Call Minutes 11/17/11

National Media Conference Call
11-17-11
Meeting Notes
In These Time is a national progressive monthly magazine that is part of the Media Consortium, which is a nonprofit national network of independent progressive media outlets.

This week, the Media Consortium is beginning a weekly conference call featuring Occupy activists and independent journalists
from around the country.

Here are the minutes.
Checking in of participants
Smallest movement: Town in Oregon with 150 people set up 100 tents. One stop light. Reaching out to tea party to find common ground.
Occupy Wall Street – Story ideas – focus on the localization aspect as well as the international spreading of the event.

Mayors from 18 cities participating in conference calls for national wave of evictions, need more attention on this.
Occupy Philadelphia – Marching today to take a bridge. Having a big problem with homeless outreach, but feel that they are handling it well. Looking at revisiting their GA process, including an increasing call for talking to more people whohave jobs
Occupy Greensboro – Spoke of bank foreclosure march, occupation, focus on local issues and the need to find a link to national/international message to get more people out. My accent was glaring.
Occupy Cleveland – Reaching out to local churches for a base in the winter, successfully stopped a foreclosure. Cleveland highest foreclosure rates in their state

Occupy Chicago – Working a lot with unions and with political groups that share their messages in order to provide daily programming. They work with their local borough occupations. Seem to function as a
coordinating hub for smaller groups. Looking to move indoors for the winter and go out into the city for activities. Putting out global call of action on April 7th 2012, Nato G8 occurring then.

Story Ideas Website:
An idea was discussed about establishing a national online database for pro-active story pitches for use in press released and other interactions with the media.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zd2aZrGh5oxGeMKdWs5s53MgXX7bOXggbiv9MMqzllo/edit

Question about Recent Polls

Then a question about what is causing the rise in people being against OWS. New York – The focus onpolice v protesters, toilets, etc. How do we turn this around? Focus on the local issues.

– OPhi – Community outreach and panels and positive events. Having a problem getting the
media to focus on these positive events as opposed to the logistical difficulties that the group is facing. If media would focus more on positive, these polls would change.

– OChi – Independent media needs to be engaged, and also more community out reach outside of the media (alliance building)

Racial Justice and the role of people of color in the occupation: OWS – bringing up photos, Occupy the Hood (boston, Chicago, other cities). Philidelphia – there are interest groups within the movement
(POCupie – People of Color)

Foreclosure – Is anyone doing anything? OGSO – Talked about working with register of deeds about foreclosure rates.

Press release process
Occupy Greensboro asked question about what peoples process was concerning the crafting of press releases; did they run everything by the GA, did they have autonomy, what did they use? People chimed
in and decided that they wanted to have this be a topic of a national email thread, with Greensboro,
Chicacgo, Philadelphia, and New York media group representatives involved.

– Natalie.occupychi@gmail.com – Chicago – email about process.
OWS – Need to share resources, will help
Phili – coffeehead75@yahoo.com wants to be a part of the conversation as well.

Moderator – email her, she’ll start an email chain (done)
New Policing trends since eviction notice? Camps noting police attitudes are getting more tense. Police are getting tired of the attention and the long hours. Also media is focusing a lot on this
aspect (as mentioned in the poling question)

Occupy Chapel Hill
Question was asked of me about Occupy Chapel hill and purpose of actions and whether the tactic of taking foreclosed buildings would continue (truthon.com?). I responded by saying that the Chapel Hill
folks had intended to use the building to better service the community but hadn’t had the chance to convert it. As far as a continuing tactic, I had heard people talking about occupying foreclosed and
vacant properties in Greensboro, Winston, Raleigh and Charlotte, but that the methods of going about it weren’t as militant as what had happened in chapel hill necessarily. For instance, we might talk with the property owners before hand.

Next Call: Dec 1st 3pm EST – next call (involving media and media groups)

G.A. Meeting Minutes 11/15/11 courtesy of Al Brilliant

OCCUPY GREENSBORO GENERAL ASSEMBLY MINUTES: 15 NOVEMBER, 2011

The background of Occupy Greensboro’s G. A. 11/15 Tuesday evening, 6:30-to-8:30 p.m. at Glenwood Coffee & Books was 24 hours of police riots from New York to California, in which Occupy camp sites were attacked and overwhelmed by thousands of armed and armor-geared policepeople. The night before, Occupy Oakland had been stomped out temporarily, front page news in the NYT. In addition, Occupy Greensboro had seen a week of aggravating discussion, much of it on Facebook,  that came up, during the G.A., as “intergroup conflict.” Duke Power’s arrogant putsch for greater profits was another part of the economic background fueling our assembly, which Dave facilitated by permission of the group, which also allowed me, Al, to take minutes. Jenny Kimmel’s cousin, Julia, had pointed out that only young women seemed to be taking minutes, and so an old white man, with diminishing hearing and vision, volunteered tonight. This is the result, which could well lead us back to the young women again.

Two long, fruitful discussions highlighted the evening. One, as mentioned above, came when Todd asked Intergroup Conflict to be placed on the agenda: a discussion of Intergroup Conflict and how we deal with it.

 

Todd, Sky and Justice’s father.  mentioned that proactive communication should replace the conflict to which he referred.  Sky and Justice were entertaining Occupy’s cat, Glenwood, while this discussion was going on. Their father said that discussion, talking with each other, might replace the Facebook criticism about our consensus process; he recommended more and better  ways in which we could communicate with each other, reminding this note-taker of Thich Nhat Hanh’s suggestion that if you want your garden lettuce to grow you don’t scold it or yell at it or criticize it if it gets dirty in a rainstorm or is a little slow developing a nice, round head.
John pointed out that the internet is not known as the best vehicle for discovering truth and resolving conflict.

 

Val shared the Hope she found in our interactions, and she wisely counseled that Hope was a precious, rare, priceless ingredient, which she had failed to find before the Occupy Movement. Furthermore, Val reminded us, we are in a huge struggle surrounded by emotional challenges, and at such a time people are known to turn on those closest to them, especially when we’re overwhelmed.

 

Steve suggested that a key ingredient adding to stress was expectations. We would find it helpful, he added, if we let go of expectations. We people, working together, have arrived at a process that is self-correcting!

 

Ed pointed out we are not alone; we work together. We recognize group wisdom. Do we real;ize how much we can do, how much accomplish? “We can change the world!” he exclaimed. “We need to have faith we can change stuff. We can make a difference.  We are the cutting edge of rapid change.”

 

Andrew, lamenting he was in the stack right after Ed’s evocative speech, warned us people aren’t resources, and that “crusaders have to talk about their convictions.” (I didn’t understand all this either.)
Connor pointed out the consequences of building relationships and the need to remain light-hearted, referring to a suggestion made earlier by yours truly to loosen-up, although perhaps these minutes are too loose?

 

Todd spoke again, and referred to our natural reluctance to correct a comrade when gossip was being slushed around while the targeted person wasn’t present. But, he said, we need to develop the maturity and strength to not allow such toxic behavior to continue, that we must correct anyone who badmouths others while talking to us. “We must treat each other well!” I’d like to highlight these remarks of Todd’s, because I believe using internet to make personal comments and the refusal to prevent the kind of triangulation Todd referred to, is the death of any group.
Mike said exactly that, using the internet will never resolve differences. “We’re all on the same side,” he pleaded.
John cleverly added that not every problem has to be solved. And someone added to that few probems had to be solved at once, immediately. Experienced movement people have learned that remaining calm and not allowing small matters to overwhelm us reduces the stress that might lead to intergroup bickering.

 

Mo shared that she doesn’t ask for help easily, suggesting we might all be the same. She urged us all to feel free to ask for help continuously. (Us men, Mo, don’t like to ask for help, but, yes, that’s good advice; excuse the cross-talk, please.)  Mo urged us to recognize everybody’s worth. Mo was stack-keeper tonight and politely placed herself last on the stack, thus ending the fruitful conversation initiated by Todd.  Although I have discussed this first, in my old man’s minutes, this event actually terminated the G.A.

The other, earlier, lengthy discussion at this 11/15 G.A. was initiated by Fahym.
Fahym claims the Working Groups, invented at the very beginning of our movement, are outdated.  “Working Groups aren’t working anymore,” he said, and he suggested alternatives and asked the group to debate this proposal.

 

Fahym proposed “task groups,” proposed breaking the working groups down into smaller more specific groups, if I understood him correctly. He said that as actions and proposals came up, at General Assemblies, we would create task groups at that time and for specific purposes.
John wondered how this would solve the burn-out that he sees taking place as people join too many groups and undertake to do too much?
Andrew liked the idea of G. A. becoming the hub for organizing task groups.
Lamar asked, wisely, why we couldn’t just keep it the way it is, but add Fahym’s Task Groups, as needed?

 

Val pointed out that before we can get consensus for this new idea, we needed to evaluate the prior Working Group concept. How has it worked out? Successfully? Any difficulties? Why not get more information from the contemporary working groups? She added the challenge of communication between working groups! “It’s hard for people to get involved within the current structure,” she admitted.  Val thinks there has to be a set time for working groups to convene, and she suggested the time should center around the G. A. itself. “That way people coming to G. A, could connect to working groups that appeal to them.”
Connor wants more visibility for the working groups.  He feels that what we name them or call them isn’t important.
Rebecca, introducing herself as “new here,” and speaking in G.A. for the first time, agreed with Connor; she wants to know more about working group availability.
Julia likes Fahym’s idea, and Fahym interjected that a large, broad focus inhibits tasks because everything appears to be handled.
Sam subtle point was that there are really two kinds of working groups, one being, really, skill groups.
John, challenged to add his experience of working groups, merely said that overall we simply had to improve communications.
Mo feels that isolation within the groups mustn’t happen. “I don’t like ownership appearing  in the space constructed within a working group, which must remain as open and all-inclusive as possible.” Once again, Maureen, because she was our stack-keeper, modeled putting herself last to speak. And so ended discussion on Fahym’s proposal, a consensus vote tabled for a future time.

There were some proposals the facilitator, Dave, entitled “Internal Proposals,” contrasting them with the two proposals with which I began these minutes. One, from Al, apologized that Glenwood Coffee & Books had a prior commitment, from WUAG, the FM component of UNC-G, for our back room on Friday, 11/18, when G. A. was to meet next.  The space would be rocking and rolling to four different (loud) bands! The group passed a consensus vote to move Friday’s G. A. to the bookshop portion of Coffee & Books (not the back room) and hold it a little earlier (5:30—7:30 p.m.), thus solving the problem.

 

Consensus was also achieved on Julia’s proposal for a Sunday Visioning assembly, “What is Occupy About?” This will be a three-hour block, like last Sunday’s, facilitated by Valerie Warren.
Julia wants us to discuss why we’re all here, similar to the process we developed a month ago, before we moved to the “Y” Camp.  Julia pointed out our numbers have possibly diminished by we had a committed, core group.  Julia gave her ideas for the agenda for such a visioning. She called for a Thursday, 6:30, in the bookshop, get-together to plan further. Julia sees us getting to know one another better, and she sees this as different than Val’s Sunday group last week.

 

A proposal that got tabled came from Mike, who pointed out that November 17th has been called out to be a nationwide day of solidarity for the Occupy Movement and all its been through recently. But the group decided a day’s notice was too little in which to create an Action. Mike said November 17 was selected, in part, because it was the two-month anniversary of the first OWS. Someone pointed out MoveOn.Org is planning a demonstration around crumbling bridges, which drew a laugh. But we have nothing planned.
Todd felt that bad as the police riots were, we didn’t have to fight the fights of other Occupiers, especially on such short notice.  He told us that the 18 cities attacked were the result of a coordinated conspiracy on the part of those cities’ power structure!
Dave and John both said that the Connor-Mo idea of a video presentation could stand for our November 17 contribution.  But what is this “video presentation,” which I have not previously mentioned?
Earlier, the Mo-Connor dyad offered to video individual’s responses to the atrocities going on, especially in New York and neighboring Chapel Hill. This proposal met the group’s acclaim, and, indeed, we all did this immediately after the meeting.  Thank you, Mo and Connor, for the hard and creative work on this terrific experience!!! Val had piggy-backed on the Mo-Connor proposal that we must discuss police use of force in the near-future.

After the Connor-Mo Proposal was approved, Val asked for discussion and even a proposal on the November 28, 1 p.m., closed utility commission meeting in Raleigh, considering the outrageous Duke Power pay hike.
Val pointed out that whereas the public objections to Duke were in an open meeting, Duke’s “reasons” for asking for more money were private!
Perhaps, she suggested, they deserved a Mik Check? Since we are shut out of the process.
Val pointed out arrest was a strong possibility, so perhaps further investigation of her proposal was necessary?
Val wants discussion with others who are interested. Mo said this discussion was a good idea but NOT on Facebook!
Todd said that if we were not ready for a Mik Check, let’s at least do something.
No consensus vote was taken on this potential proposal.

The G. A. this evening began with the obligatory ground rules.  Al proposed additional ground rules, such as maintaining a sense of humor and cutting each other some slack when we foul up, and, in general, lightening up. He sees nothing wrong with enjoying our work, even though it is obviously of utmost importance and very, very serious. There was a brief repartee around the words, “Step Up, Step Up.” Al suggested “Step Up, Step Down,” the original form.  But Julia pointed out that the word “step” might be disrespectful of being who couldn’t “step” at all; perhaps “move” could be substituted for “step” on behalf of our sisters and brothers who have disabilities?

 

Finally, as usual, ANNOUNCEMENTS preceded everything mentioned herein so far. Todd’s Disclosure group gave an announcement. They are looking for a suitable home about to be foreclosed upon. (We could occupy their front yard, perhaps.) He announced the next twpo meetings of this group: Spring Garden Bakery,  8:30 a.m. Tuesday; Thursday 7:30 p.m. at Al’s. (Doesn’t Al get up by 8:30 a.m. in order to have meetings at his bookshop? I want to know.)

 

Further, under ANNOUNCEMENTS, Julia has contacted the Winston-Salem Occupation, in order to coordinate an action around the appearance, if you can call it that, of the CEO of (ugh) Wells Fargo at a $45 bruncheon. Winston doesn’t want a Mik Check, but is suggesting an outdoors protest, to which anyone could join. The group feeling, it semed to me,  to be that such a tame response wasn’t worth the effort of deep discussion and planned coordination.

 

And so I bring to an end this laborious and labored minutes, which I sincerely and respectfully hope has entertained and amused you in the reading as it did me in the writing. I think we’re all wonderful.  I think the millions who have suffered from U. S. brutality will appreciate the efforts we few are making, efforts our fellow citizens have shamefully thus far not joined, perhaps because North American oppression doesn’t bother them as it does us? Those avoiding Occupy participation seem quite comfortable with the suffering our System and our Nation has caused.
I am proud of those who are unwilling to put up with it. Who aren’t going to take it any more.

Strategic Planning Meeting Minutes 11/13/11

We went over ground rules, chose a stack taker and note taker.

 

Then started with the agenda:

 

We split into pairs to answer the question, What do you want to help Occupy Greensboro accomplish?  Everyone wrote answers on sticky notes.

 

People read off one of their sticky notes to the whole group and gave it to Val, who put it on the board at the front of the room, separating the notes into categories.  After everyone had gone at least once, folks read their second or third sticky note.

 

The grand list of sticky notes:

 

Democracy:

  • Push for a democratic budgeting process in Greensboro.
  • Public financing of elections.
  • Democratic consensus process replication in every community and organization, civic and religious community in the city.  Purpose: practice having a voice again.
  • Protest DNC in Charlotte.
  • Engage all our federal reps–accountable to our goals.
  • Change the national conversation from bigger government or smaller government to good government/best in class government.
  • Hold our systems accountable.
  • Secure constitutional rights, freedom, and democracy.

 

Health:

  • Alternative health care included in insurance.
  • As a community, shift away from depending on pharmaceuticals and toward naturopathy.
  • Universal healthcare.

 

 

Environment:

  • Understanding where our energy comes from and putting a stop to mountain top removal (and education about mountain top removal).
  • Permaculture
  • Sustainability
  • Respect the environment.
  • Public transportation/alternatives to oil.
  • Make greensboro a resilient community that doesn’t rely on fossil fuels.
  • Have peaceful protests/teach-in surrounding keystone xl pipeline.
  • Advocate food justice, especially with public school gardening.
  • Protect natural resources.

 

Education

  • Help organize teach-ins.
  • Getting students more involved in the community.
  • Teaching
  • Create a new educational system that is based on mutual aid and collaboration.
  • Participate in strategic planning or thinking related to teach-ins.  Visioning what we’d like to see.
  • Educate and empower youth.
  • Teach-ins: I want to help OG to learn and increase skills, increase collective knowledge base—skills and analysis.

 

Outreach

  • Engaging more veterans into our movement.
  • Outreach to get community members talking about occupy and feeling connected even if they are not actively involved.
  • Focus message, goals and supporting objectives into elevator speech.  Cut sheet with 7-8 points.
  • Make more people aware of occupy gso and what its about.  College campus outreach.
  • Build better relationship with labor.
  • To help save the public postal service.
  • Advocate for the voices of our youth (children).

 

Art

  • Impact through art. What we lack in numbers we can make up for in creativity.
  • Radical puppetry.
  • I would like to focus on telling individual stories of the 99% and events of this movement through video, still pictures, multimedia.
  • Health and music.

 

Undo racism

  • Undoing racism.

 

Economy

  • Create new markets with innovative progresive ideas.
  • Socializing the endowment of colleges.
  • Stop home foreclosure.

 

Non-violence

  • Disappear militarism.

 

How

  • Beautify this space (Al’s).
  • Analyze current strategies, develop cohesive democratic state and national movement.
  • Create our own media.
  • Support social change (nonviolent)
  • Maintain conversation on how to make the movement specifically practical.
  • More empowered/empowering facilitation.
  • Create a list of guiding principles that can be infused with our ground rules.

 

Community

  • Build a new transition community-“Ready for Action”
  • Compassion
  • Society where everyone counts and contributes, even the differently-abled
  • I want this to be a movement that is transformative on these levels: Personal, Interpersonal, Community, The World  (Transformative in the sense of untying oppressive knots, and giving us ways to move together to be truly self-organizing)
  • Create a democratic new society-bottom line: community (harmony through diversity)

 

 

 

We self-organized into groups around these categories.  Each group discussed these questions:

 

—What resources do I have/ do we have that will help us accomplish this goal?

—What resources do I/we need in order to accomplish this goal?

—What competencies do I/we have  that will help us accomplish this goal?

—What competencies do I/we need to in order to accomplish this goal?

—What processes do we have that will help us to accomplish this goal democratically?

—What processes do we need that will help us to accomplish this goal democratically?

 

5 minute break.  We played anarchist volleyball.

 

Report backs from groups:

 

Education

  • We’re forming a new working group around teach-ins.
  • We’ll be keeping in touch with each other.
  • At some point starting a listserv.
  • Meeting this Thursday at 5:30.

 

Economy

  • Lots of people in the group have tools, someone has a body shop.
  • There was discussion of worker-owned cooperatives, ending foreclosure.  (Def’n of cooperative: workers own it, which means one vote per person, not one share per person.  Workers hire and fire management, not the other way around.)
  • Discussed the three-part approach to movements: resistance, advocacy, DIY.  The DIY aspect is that we don’t want to ask someone else to do things for us.
  • Want to pick 3-5 local issues that are connected to national issues and do a campaign.
  • Develop some material that does some analysis.
  • A people’s court, or tribunal to hold banks accountable.

 

Outreach

  • We have access to time, internet, and some history around what OGSO has been doing so far.
  • We’re starting with emailing each other to get to know one another.
  • We’ll call John Kernodle about external alliance building.
  • We want to make a goals list and a list of information.
  • Reaching out to other occupy groups, specifically Raleigh.
  • Swapping information and documents.

 

Environment

  • Doing a teach-in on energy.
  • There’s a wealth of knowledge about large scale energy and dependence on fossil fuels.
  • Promoting public transit, maybe creating a forum.
  • Young people thnk they’re too cool to ride bikes/take buses, could work with greek organizations on campuses to host forums.

 

Art

  • We’re motivated, have manpower/womanpower.
  • Create a dropbox online for people to put photos and films into.
  • Meet ½ an hour before each GA to talk about techniques—folks who are specialized in mediums can give crash courses on lighting, etc.  How to record people’s stories.
  • Talk to folks in OGSO who have specialties.
  • Create a relationship with media.
  • There’s a zine working group.
  • Art/lit about local occupy and occupy wall street that doesn’t require access to the internet.

 

Community

  • Long list of resources we have.
  • Want to make a really, really free market
  • Possibly an outdoor festival with social groups or organizations in greensboro.
  • Or indoors in the winter, or a tailgate market.
  • Neighborhood caucuses for occupy greensboro.
  • Developing communication and conflict resolution skills.
  • Locating spaces to get together in our neighborhoods.
  • Language accessibility is a big issue, we need a visible process for translation.
  • Picking people at the end of each GA to act as facilitators, childcare, interpreters and carpooling coordinators (2 of each).
  • Going to where people are the most comfortable and willing to be most vulnerable.
  • Doing a skills inventory, and creating some kind of searchable database that we can use to get in contact with folks who have different skills.

 

After report-backs there was a long discussion about what we should do next—stick to the agenda or do some kind of whole group discussion about why we came to occupy greensboro… the idea of a mission statement came up, but there was a fair amount of opposition to the idea.  There is a proposal (to be presented at Tuesday’s GA) to do visioning next Sunday.

 

I didn’t take great notes because I was involved in the conversation, but here’s a list of ideas that came up that I was sort of able to get down:

 

  • Idea of a council of working groups.
  • Ed’s declaration is like points of unity, maybe there could be revision around that.
  • There are 1800 people on the facebook page, how do we have a large conversation including as many folks as possible?
  • We could discuss something like mission statement/points of unity, and the discussion would probably range from should we have one, to what should it be.
  • How can we build a group analysis of what’s happening in society—perhaps through teach-ins.
  • These are all teach-in ideas.
  • Organizations are different from movements.  Organizations have mission statements, in movements we need to engage in a level of flexibility while watching processes unfold.
  • Someone really liked open spaces and was excited, how do we have more of that?
  • How can we get back to the big picture, for example how do we relate to elections.
  • How can we go back and forth between the specifics and the big picture?
  • Discussion about historical and comparative things…
  • Greater questioning of structure and society
  • How to reinvigorate the language that we need.
  • Changing Sunday to conversations and large picture work.

 

We broke from this discussion to go back to our groups for about ten minutes.

Page 24 of 26« First...10...2223242526