Occupy Greensboro Events
Learn about Occupy Greensboro

May Day Working Group: April 9, 2012

[Note: There were two sets of notes.]

AGENDA:

  • Recap what was talked about on the previous meeting
  • Come up with concrete ways people can prepare
  • Come up with a narrowly-focused statement for why we want people in the community to come
  • Specify the exact route of the march
  • Start coordinating outreach efforts

RECAP
A march with 5 different Focuses:

  • Workers rights
  • The Racist Justice System
  • Immigrant Rights
  • Amendment 1
  • Students/Education?

Continue reading »

Raleigh Foreclosure Home Defense Occupation! First in North Carolina

Updated 4:30pm, April 10, 2012: Video recap of yesterday’s action posted on YouTube. Links to press stories below press release.
YouTube Preview Image

UPDATED 2:30pm, April 9: Press conference moved to Magistrates office in downtown Raleigh due to arrests. Will take place at 3:30pm.

UPDATED 2:20pm, April 9: Nonviolent demonstrators have been arrested in Raleigh after defending against an illegal, fraudulent eviction. More information to come.

For Immediate Release

Contact: Todd Warren, 336-554-5370, toddafwarren@gmail.com

Occupy Greensboro joins Occupy Raleigh to reclaim an evicted family’s foreclosed home

A family in Raleigh has been evicted and forced from their home through an illegal foreclosure. They have been ordered to remove all personal property from their home by Sunday April 8, 2012. The family has bravely chosen to fight eviction and foreclosure and is requesting community support. Evidence of robo-signing by the bank, which is a fraud, has been uncovered and the entire foreclosure process is under attorney review.

Continue reading »

General Assembly: April 3, 2012

Facilitator: Matt D.
Stack: Lynn

Announcements

  • Occupy Alamance is getting started. See Matt.
  • Clarification of the block.
  • People’s Market across the street on Saturday from 9-12pm.
  • Meeting about organizing around Trayvon Martin shooting on Thursday at 7pm.

Proposals

  • Proposal to buy and distribute OccuCards outreach materials. TABLED. Will be clarified and re-proposed.

Discussion

  • Finance WG needs to be re-launched. Dave, Lynn and Val will follow up.
  • Race and participation in OGSO.
  • BofA shareholders meeting.

Next Sunday: John will facilitate.

General Assembly: April 1, 2012

Might have person to discuss inner working of mortgage fraud

Facilitator: Kevin
Stack: Nathan

Working Group Reports
Note: We Need more working group report backs than the few we got today.

  • CAAO: Discussed enthusiasm with cook out and open mic and concern with $$$. Discussed discourse on facebook.
  • Foreclosure WG– Mortgage fraud detection training happened led by Rochelle Sparko. Second training scheduled for April 14 9 am at Glenwood Coffee and books 1310 Glenwood Ave. There will be a video of training that took place Saturday. Next meeting Thursday 8:30 am Spring Garden Coffee.
  • May Day WG: Mayday meeting happened Saturday at 5pm next meeting Monday April 8 at 5:30 pm

Announcements

  • Sometime in April there will be a speaker talking about corporate fraud in politics
  • Americorp is cleaning out house in Glenwood Date April 6-7. At Servants center contact Bobbie
  • Johns theater group gave shout outs to Occupy Greensboro in interview.
  • State senate is possibly going to vote to lower number of signatures needed to get political parties included in electoral proceedings
  • Occupy Alamance meets May Memorial Library this Sunday April 8

Proposals

  • Proposal to pay back Todd $60 to pay overlay from cookout- the Money + $7 was raised in GA by passing the hat. Passed

Discussions

  • Mortgage fraud detection
  • Reflections from Cookout- Carol brought awesome food. It was the Jam. Shout outs to Carol (states unnamed source)
  • Consensus and Blocking
  • What is Direct Action?

Reflections

Upcoming GA 4-8

  • Facilitator – John K
  • Stack – Mark S

General Assembly: March 25, 2012

Facilitator: Maria R.
Stack: John K.
Notes: Dave R.

Introduction and Go-Round, Ground Rules, Hand Signals

Working Group Report Backs

  • Foreclosure Working Group. Big couple of weeks. March 14 event was big success. We are now getting lots of inquiries for help. Emails from all over the country. Over-subscribed for the mortgage fraud detection training this weekend. Saturday from 9-11:30 at the Nussbaum Room in the main library. 40-50 people already signed up. Training to get people to review case files for foreclosure proceedings. The data gathered needs to be maintained and archived. Surprised to find there are data management problems within the revolution. The Rachel Maddow Show raised the profile of this work to a very high level. This poses issues for the time resource for OGSO.
  • Energy WG: Meeting on March 28, 7pm at GC&B. Still working on canvassing. Canvassing data will be turned into a radio drama. Creative writing session will be at Sessions Bar on Spring Garden St.
  • CAAO: Meet on Fridays at 5:30pm. Talked about Open Mic event at GC&B. Proposal will be offered later. Will do a relationship training before open mic to focus on Amendment One work. Blind Tiger event mentioned. Amendment One stuff is on the calendar. CAAO is helping with foreclosure stuff. April 6- movie screening about race and foreclosure at GC&B. Other events coming up. Watch the Calendar.
  • Food & Gardening: Tabling at People’s Market in Glenwood first Sat of each month. Table will do seed/plant swap and give-aways.
  • Amendment One WG: Benefit show tonight at the Blind Tiger. They need volunteers. People can go over tonight after the GA meeting.

Announcements

  • Justice Party petition to get third part on the ballot in NC. Petitions passed around for anyone interested in getting a third option on the ballot.
  • Two more screenings of Foreclosure movie. Tomorrow at Guilford College at 5pm.
  • BofA Pushback meeting at GC&B next Sunday. We may need a WG dedicated to BofA work to take load off of FWG. The BofA shareholder mtg is coming up and folk are organizing around it.
  • Transition GSO: Planting a permaculture garden at the IRC. Teaching gardening and planting stuff. Need help. Looking to expand garen around the entire building. May 19 – reskilling workshop at farmers market. May 23 – Joanna Macy, 7-9pm.
  • Touring Theatre – now booking shows starting April 15 for Amendment One show. April 20, 8pm show will be at GC&B. See John K. if you want to help with a talkback after the show.

Proposals

  • Setting up a WG on Conscientious Objection. TABLED as an announcement.
  • CAAO: Use $150 to buy food for the cookout on Thursday. Amendment for up to $250 to pay for local food. Donya will bottom-line. CONSENSUS on amended proposal.
  • Abbreviated GA next week to join the cookout with BofA folks.
  • Amendment: Move the GA to 6pm-8pm. CONSENSUS.

Discussions

  • Foreclosure Working Group stuff.
Page 8 of 26« First...678910...20...Last »