Tag: General Assembly

General Assembly: April 29th, 2012

Facilitator: Emiley J
Stack: Nathan P
Notes: Julie D

Rules and Hand Signals

Report Backs

  • Energy Working Group (Julie D) met with Connie Leeper of NC Warn on 4/25/12 about information surrounding the Annual Rate Hike Bill.  We are considering partnering with her/them. The Creative Writing Group will meet on May 9th at Sessions from 7pm to 9pm to continue developing a radio play based on the Annual Rate Hike Bill.  Energy Work Group Meetings are currently being held at Glenwood Coffee and Books on Sundays from 2 to 3:30.
  • May Day (John) event being held at Governmental Plaza at 5 pm.  Lots of speakers, FLOC and Immigrants Rights and Labor will be having a play.
  • Resolution Working Group – 7 – 10 people met about overturning Citizens United.  MariKay A. and Nancy H. supporters – sending letters out for resolution.   Brian reported that the Amendment One rally had lots of food and speakers on 4/28 with about 500 to 700 people.  Overall raised awareness for May 8th.
  • Food (Julia):  Bring food, plates, cups, metal forks, table cloths.  Saul @ Guilford College checking on a water spigot donation.  Valerie W. brought a box of metal utensils for Bookstore usage but can use for other events.
  • Foreclosure Working Group (Jane): Todd is continuing meetings about fraud detection and training is moving ahead for statistically correct sampling.  Need /attempt to support people in foreclosure to get involved.  Email Jane for meeting at her house to talk with people going through foreclosure – may involve just a phone call.  Planning a meeting on 5/1 to volunteer to help others.  Purpose of separate committee is opportunity to focus on: data collection and neglecting outreach in community for those who are in foreclosure. May contact Julianne Knight or Julia.
  • Boys Group (Al): Working group in process to assist in women issues, i.e. reproductive health issues.  GA consent for Kristine from Planned Parenthood to be invited here are May 9th.
  • Jane – Bus for BOA to Charlotte on May 9th – FREE BUSRIDE–  There is information on the NC Coalition Against Corporate Power website.  Plenty of room still on the bus.


  •  John – Amendment One, phone banking, College Park, need significant media attention.  Also, 2nd Class Readers Theatre on 4/30 at the IRC at 7:30, on 5/1 Temple Emanuel 7:30, on 5/3 at The Elm St. Center at 7:30…further dates can be found at http://ttnc.org/Schedule.html  This connects to Amendment 1 voting, drawing folks in to understand the issue.
  •  Valerie – Phone banking every night this week from 5 to 9 pm until Vote on May 8th.  Contact Val if interested in volunteering.
  •  John – One guerilla performance for News Media for John Edwards trial.


  • Julia – Nature of proposal is to have Tuesday’s GA at Governmental Plaza after May Day Event.  PASSED
  • Valerie – Energy Working Group to have one hour of GA time for presentation/NC Warn Guest: Connie Leeper on May 13th.  PASSED


  • Julia – Discussing idea of outdoor space for future GA’s being outside now that the weather is nicer and to be more visible in community.
  •  Trixie – DNC – Idea for OGSO to assist other Occupy groups coming here who may need help with housing and/or busing, in an effort to take some responsibility for other groups.
  • Ed – Pass the peoples bank – and we did.


Tuesday, 5/1

  • General Assembly will be held at Governmental Plaza after May Day Event (around 6:30)
  • Facilitator – Tentatively, Valerie W (co-facilitate)
  • Notes – Julia
  • Stack –  to be determined

Sunday, 5/6

  • Co-facilators: John K and Paul
  • Notes – to be determined
  • Stack – Barbara


General Assembly: April 22, 2012

Facilitator: Valerie W
Stack: Kathe
Notes: Emiley J

Rules and Hand Signals

Report Backs

  • Foreclosure Working Group completed Mortgage fraud training. Plans to organize more training
  • May Day- 5pm Governmental plaza. Need people to help with food organizing for May Day talk to Tom or join the discussion on occupy website.
  • CAAO- April 28 Love is the Answer.willing to buy food keep in freezer, volunteers day of the event, and need people with trucks who can help move stuff.
  • Energy Working Group- Speaker from NC WARN Wed 4-25-12 7pm-9pm. Planning around radio drama, canvassing/ petition for Annual Rate Hike, media, and movie nights.
  • Media- group meet to teach how to use media to support occupy events
  • Al, Possible new working group, Boys Group to learn more and talk about women’s health rights.


  • Leaders theater against Amendment One, www.ttnc.org for show schedule
  • Sat April 28, 9-4 $20 trulient federal credit union, training session community based
  • *enterprises and worker cooperatives
  • Sat April 28 food garden at IRC.
  • May 9 BOA corporate meeting. Collation Against Corporate Power can provide rides to Charlotte.


  • Occupy inviting a speaker from planned parent hood speak to general assembly to address us on women’s health and have The boys working group bottom line the planning. PASSED


  • Start a new working group. Resolution Working Group.
  • Leadership and outreach development


Tue 4-24-12

  • Facilitator:Tom but will be late

Sunday 4-29-12

  • Facilitator:Emiley
  • Stack: Bobbie
  • Notes: Lamar

General Assembly Notes: April 15, 2012

Facilitator: Nathan
Notes: Dave


Ground Rules & Hand Signals


  • Transition Greensboro is doing a number of Spring Events. Edible Garden at the IRC on April 28th. Re-skilling Festival at the Farmer’s Market. See Kathe L.
  • Race, Wealth & the Housing Crash program with Larry Morse at the BCC on April 19th.
  • NC Coalition Against Corporate Power demonstration on May 9th at the Bank of America shareholders meeting. There are bus seats from Greensboro. No charge for bus ticket. See Todd.
  • Several events happening at GC&B related to anti-Amendment One work. Mo is throwing herself a birthday party against the Amendment on April 4th around 7:30pm.
  • Awards.
  • Tomorrow night at Glenwood Library is a community meeting about the closing of the Four Seasons Post Office at 7pm. See Sandra for more information.

Working Group Report Backs

  • Foreclosure Working Group: Working on a lot stuff. We had an event with Occupy Raleigh around home defense. That work is still ongoing. We are creating a “Foreclosure Home Owners Group” for people who are experiencing this crisis to get some support and share their stories. The Mortgage Fraud Detection training will be NEXT Saturday at GC&B at 1pm (Talk to Todd). Still getting lots of emails from around the country about spreading this fraud detection work. Other groups that do legal work around foreclosure are close to coming out in favor of more action-focused efforts to stem this crisis because of our work. Meetings are still at Spring Garden Bakery on Thursday at 8:30am.
  • Art/Communication/Media Working Group: Website update. Need more people to get involved.

No proposals offered today.


  • Recent assaults on Women’s Rights
  • Organizing for May Day
  • Public relations skill share planning

General Assembly: April 10, 2012

The last time I took minutes and posted them, was last year. As a consequence, The Media Working Group announced all sorts of rules and reforms in the writing and posting of minutes, all of which I had offended in my cursive style. In fact, a rigid rule and tiny boxes were created, whereby the minute-taker had to fit his, or preferably, her very few words, or, preferably, single letters, into secure corsets, there to be held without charge or limit until the dictatorship freed them.

Those benign days of yore are gone now, and minute-takers, although still subject to “suggestions,” don’t listen to them. These minutes, then, rely simply on our few, excellent, basic “Ground Rules” of courtesy, fairness, democracy, and tolerance, anti-oppressive & collectively accessible.

That being said, a kind of writing muscle warm-up, Thom was our facilitator, beginning the meeting a mere ten minutes late. It being TUESDAY, of course, this general assembly was a “free-for-all” artistic creation, not following the excellent format of Sunday G. A.s. Between 20 and 25 occupiers were occupying the bookshop front room at Glenwood Coffee & Books, including a pretty hyper M–. Mo, the heroine of the week, was in the wings.

Continue reading »

General Assembly: April 3, 2012

Facilitator: Matt D.
Stack: Lynn


  • Occupy Alamance is getting started. See Matt.
  • Clarification of the block.
  • People’s Market across the street on Saturday from 9-12pm.
  • Meeting about organizing around Trayvon Martin shooting on Thursday at 7pm.


  • Proposal to buy and distribute OccuCards outreach materials. TABLED. Will be clarified and re-proposed.


  • Finance WG needs to be re-launched. Dave, Lynn and Val will follow up.
  • Race and participation in OGSO.
  • BofA shareholders meeting.

Next Sunday: John will facilitate.

Page 3 of 712345...Last »